Monday, November 14, 2011

Inner Calm

I'm positive I've found my inner calm. Life is happening all around me and I've managed to go through the steps of being present in the moments and also knowing how to calm myself if I feel it slipping out of my reach. Here is a list of things that help keep me at peace:

1. Deep breathing. I've tried a few different ways to breathe but the one that helps me the most is breathing inward for a count of 4 and out for 6 and repeating at least 3 times.

2. Along with the breathing sometimes I will repeat anything that I am wanting to achieve in my waking life. Lately it's been the phrase, "I want inner calm."

3. My favorite mantra is saying and repeating, "I am healthy, I am  happy, and I feel amazing," and smiling whilst doing so.

4. Look in the mirror and smile or make a funny face.

5. Listing everything I love during an overwhelming situation always calms me down.

6. Exercise, duh. Some of you probably roll your eyes at that one, but if you've never tried it or felt the amazing high you get after, then you have no idea how much this could be helping you in so many different areas of your life.

7. Hugging my husband, which I don't do enough of. He's a way better hugger than I am.

8. Doing anything with Jaida and getting the sense that she's happy to be spending time with me.

9. When everyone is home and we have just eaten dinner and sit down together to relax in front of the tv, I look around and realize that these are the moments that matter and this is why I wake up every day. I know tv is unhealthy and we could be doing other things, which we do, but to me, everything feels like it's in it's proper place when we are all together and calm like this.

10. My nightly dose of Candy Cane Lane Decaf Green Tea with a teaspoon of sugar.

11. Making music mixes to enjoy on my way to work or sharing with friends.

12. Baking, which I haven't been doing lately, except for the gajillion cookies we ordered from fundraisers, this year.

13. Texting certain friends. I'm not big on phone conversations and often feel uncomfortable trying to find things to talk about. Again, unhealthy, but for me it's easier.

14. Laughing. Wednesday nights are my favorite because we have family tv night where we watch some pretty hilarious shows together. No matter how I'm feeling that first laugh eases any stress away instantly.

15. Reading a good book.

16. Writing in my journal and lately blogging has been a great outlet for me.

17. Donating to the needy. There is nothing quite like the feeling of giving.

18. Playing and cuddling with my dogs and cat.

19. Painting or crafting, both of which I have been lacking.

20. Cleaning. I think that runs in the family. :)

21. Being grateful for everything in my life and knowing that I am lucky to be able to experience so much.

As you can see there are a lot of things that have helped in all facets of my life to bring me peace. There isn't any reason why I should be feeling any other way when I have so much to be thankful for in this world.  Perhaps this list will come to be helpful to many of you. May you find your inner calm as I have found mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment